Friday 18 February 2011

Housesitting

Today I am on a housesit.  This means me throwing everything I think I might need into an old suitcase and heading off into the countryside in my 20 year old Renault with my trusty GSP in search of houses buried deep in the rural outback of France.  I am looking after three goats, three chickens, two dogs, two cats and a parrot.  The first time I came to this housesit I arrived after the owners had gone and was greeted by a very large black dog who lept up and knocked me flat on my back and preceeded to stand over me and lick my face. There is never a dull moment when housesitting, like the dog that has to be given daily pills, the cat you have to hand feed,heating that wont work in the middle of winter and the dog that pees up your leg!

I also housesit a variety of cats all having their own routines and quirky habits.  I have 9 cats at home one of which is deaf.  We have taught him sign language which amounts to feeding time and come here.  He cant hear his meow and lets out an ear shattering scream that would curdle milk. He is white and has to have cat sun cream on to go outside so we generally keep him indoors. We are thinking of designing him a sun hat which would enable him to spread his wings and go off exploring. He is learning to feel vibration and can tell if someone enters the room or there is a loud noise, we blow on him to get his attention otherwise he jumps several feet in the air if you just turn up in his line of vision.  People call me the flower power cat lady, but thats ok with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment