Sunday 26 April 2020

Bees

We live on a wonderful 83 acre farm, with ponds, nice dogs walks,  trees and wildlife.  Apart from having 112 rescued cats at the moment, we have goats, Mr and Mrs Peacock, geese, ducks, chickens, rabbits and dogs.

It has been really quiet here during lockdown.  The pathways have not been cut, so the wild flowers have flourished. You can hear the wildlife going about their business.  Yesterday Holly found the biggest rat we have ever seen here, obviously caught by one of the cats.  The ponds are full, due to all the recent rain, and now the sunshine is out everything is growing fast.

Well today started off with me only finding two left shoes, I went to the toilet with a cat curled round my neck and spraying the deodorant the wrong way round so I got a face full.  I then found another pair of shoes which had a right one as well.  So we headed off across the fields on our usual dog walk, me with a scarf over my head to stop the ticks falling on my head or the bees getting caught in my hair.

The walk went really well, we had only three cats following us today and we reached the pond, without incident, which was quiet and beautiful as always and the dogs love to go in it to look for frogs.

After remarking how tranquil it was and how lovely it was to hear the wildlife, taking picture and enjoying the moment, we set off back home.

We had just said to each other how nice it was that the wild flowers were allowed to flourish this year as it helped the bees, when a bee decided to land on Holly's hat.  Screaming to me that she had a bee on her and 'GET IT OFF' 'GET IT OFF' was spewing from her mouth at great speed, while she shook, jumped and threw herself around.  I whipped her hat off, threw it on the floor and told her it had gone.  The dog thinking this was most exciting, grabbed her hat in his mouth and proceeded to treat it like prey, tossing it around and catching it in his mouth.

Two seconds later, she was screaming again 'ITS IN MY HAIR GET IT OUT' so in her hair I go lifting bits, parting bits, searching for the bee.  I finally found it and it didn't seem to want to exit. I tried everything I could but it didn't want to leave.  Holly, by this time, was hysterical and it took all my strength not the laugh and I was in so much pain trying to hold it together.  We finally got the bee out of her hair after she had ripped out her hair tie, shook her head around vigorously, screaming and jumping around.

So the walk continued for another 2 seconds.  It was then that I couldn't contain myself any longer and burst out laughing so much I was crying, as Holly screamed, cried and yelled that there was a third bee down her t-shirt now and proceeded to launch her top off onto the floor,  revealing that she was wearing absolutely nothing underneath.  She bounced around in full glory, doing the ministry of silly walks, making sure the bee had finally departed.  The dog by this time was on excitement overload and was barking, running around grabbing her hat and t-shirt in his mouth and thinking this was so much fun.  I on the other hand couldn't see for laughing, the vision of Holly running back to the house, partially dressed, arms flailing around, hair cascading down her naked body, with friendly bees following her just made my day complete.

My thoughts for the day are, how lucky we are to live in a remote rural farm with so much land around us.  Wonderful to have so much wildlife around us, even if they get a little too close.  Great to be able to have a laugh everyday even during these difficult times.

Stay Safe and love from The Funny Farm.







No comments:

Post a Comment