Sunday 24 March 2013

Easter

I remember when I was young being told by my dear mother that Easter eggs were a waste of money because the chocolate was so thin and the price was so high that she would buy us a bar of something we liked instead as it was far better value for money!

When growing up I was allotted a sweet day which was Wednesday.  This was because we had a really horrible dentist who said my teeth were rubbish and proceeded to fill nearly all of them, inflicting lots of pain and telling me not to eat sweets.  I didn't actually eat very many sweets as we had little money when I was young.  Since this barbaric dentist left the scene I have had little trouble with my teeth and have always been told how well I keep them.  So there I was left with a sweet day and my father cleaning my teeth at night as if he was scouring a baked on pan. We found out afterwards that this man did it to loads of other people who also didn't need the work he carried out!

My first Easter egg was bought for me by my first boyfriend, Rick.  It was massive with gold wrapping and a big red bow around it.  I was overjoyed and didn't want it to end so ate it so slowly I still had some left in August. When I was little we also attended our little old church which was always a mystery to me and that was about it.

Easter had more meaning after I had the children.  We also went to the little old church that I had gone to as a child but they now had a more open approach and the children took part in the Easter Egg Hunt around the grounds and helped to decorate the church and take part in the service.  It was only then that I learnt the true meaning of Easter that Jesus died and rose again.  I did buy my children the, bad value for money, Easter eggs and we also had a Easter Egg Hunt in the garden and around the house.  I still keep the wonderful Easter cards the children made me while at primary school.  The children and I used to make little Easter cakes and decorate them with all sorts of fun toppings.

Being in France there is no church to visit well not like the pretty 900 year old one we used to go to that held memories and meaning for me.  Don't get me wrong there is a church in every village in France but they hold little attraction to me as they are obviously in French.  For some Easter is a Holy time for some it will be a chocolate time and for all hopefully a family get together happy time.

Wishing everyone a wonderful Easter



No comments:

Post a Comment