Sunday 10 August 2014

Soggy Headings

So while I move pee sodden newspaper around into a ball with my plastic crocks trying not to step on three black balls of fur biting at my trousers, clawing my legs and chewing the strap of my shoes, I dream of lying on a warm beach with the white sand cascading through my toes and the sound of the waves gently rolling in and out. Back in reality I find I have trodden on a soft brown poo hiding just out of sight beside some wet paper.  Scraping it off onto the saturated newspaper which, most fittingly, has a heading of 'I saw my mother get sucked down the toilet' I wondered why people put themselves through all this everyday.  For me this is just a job and one that in a weeks time I can leave and go home but for some it is an everyday routine.

Poo seems to feature quit regularly in my life now, not through choice but from a desperate need to earn a living and trying to find something that you don't need to speak the language fluently and you don't really need to use your intelligence or brain power. If it's not animals poo it the blocked toilet I have to contend with on a daily basis.Then there is the smell of the Fosse and when the wind is blowing towards the house the whole place smells like a cow shed.

This worked for me a few years ago when I had little or no brainpower left, I was coming out from many traumas and stress and just needed something that took me away from reality.  Well now I am, what you could say, all better I am needing to use my brain again and engage in the real world.

Cleaning up dogs poo and making scrambled eggs and rice pudding for 4 legged fluff balls, having my arms pulled out of their sockets on walks, woken up at night with howling visitors and being knocked off my feet by 50kg monsters is all very well and dandy but this girl needs to get more time to be creative.

I have many project on the go and that's where they stop.  On the go is about as far as I can get them due to the lack of time.  I have a house which is in needs of lots of work, there are the daily jobs that take up most of my time and that's without trying to make a living.  Far too much for one person by themselves.  My days of multitasking have flown away, just the word multitasking brings me out into a cold sweat.  We strive for bigger and better things in life but we are a long time dead.  These days I am elated when I see the hot water coming out of the tap and ecstatic when I've ordered wood for the winter.  I have to admit though that I have had in my wish list a beautiful dark pink Fosse bag which matches my purse and in my wish list it will stay as who can justify £100 for a bag! I do peek at it now and then just to make sure it is still just as beautiful.

Don't get me wrong I am grateful for the business I have built up, albeit small.  It has kept food on our table and shoes on our feet, I just sometimes, when I am knee deep in excrement, wish I was back in my office talking to clients on the phone and organising print schedules and delivery dates, outwork and orders and all things print!!

Oh and by the way the weather here in France today is pants!  So much for balmy evenings, warm summer days sipping wine and eating cheese, its chucking it down and blowing a gale!!

Back to poo collections and reading sodden newspaper headings!  Life not so far away from the Funny Farm

1 comment:

  1. Oh poor you, Heather dearest! I cannot imagine dealing endlessly with poo one way or another. And the fact that it's chucking it down doesn't help either, does it? Soggy poo…yuk! We've had lovely weather until this last week when its seems to be either steaming hot or chucking it down by turns. Very difficult for boat work too. Last week I think I got wetter more regularly than I've been for yonks just trying to change the tarpaulin on my barge! Sorry, lovely, I'm off Twitter at the moment. Trying to focus on my studies, but I am still blogging :)

    ReplyDelete