Friday 26 April 2013

To catch or not to catch a peacock

Well today has been the usual fun and games on the Funny Farm.  We have a poorly kitten, a staying dog, a sick friend and a house in the middle of waves of rapeseed floating gracefully in the breeze, spreading their pollen straight up my nose! I've tried my hand at planting flowers in pots and trying to make an effort in a hopes to seem like everyone else.  Being like everyone else is something I have never found very easy.  I find all the immense effort people put in to things in general is beyond me.  Still this year I decided that I would 'make the effort' just to say I tried!

Anyway back to my sick friend.  Her family have come down with a gastro bug which has taken out her husband and baby leaving her with a large stable of horses to deal with so my children have been going over to lend a hand.  She lives in a beautiful chateaux in a wonderful wooded area with stunning outbuildings converted into stables.  She has horses, peacocks, dogs and cats and lots of land to take care of.  Anyway we have been trying over the last few weeks to catch some of her peacocks and peahens as they have been multiplying at an alarming rate and she has so many now.

we have a few attempts, one being my daughter standing there with a horse coat over her head waiting for the 'go', while my friend coaxed the birds closer with pieces of bread.  This was a disaster, if you can imagine we shouted 'go' she threw the coat the birds all squawked and flew madly up in the air scattering around in a mad panic, one landing on the large sun umbrella and sliding down onto the table screeching and flapping all the way.  The others flew up into the tall trees screaming and moaning as they went!

The next attempt was a large dog crate.  This had been left out with food in it and a long string attached to the open door.  The plan was to pull the door shut when the bird was inside the crate.  Well this seemed to be a much better idea and today a bird went in.  Gently my daughter pulled the door shut and stood there while the bird went crazy screaming at all the others of the impending danger!

We stood there looking at one another all with the same thought 'what do we do now'.  We tried to fit the dog crate into my car but it was too big to slide in.  So plan B had to be put into action.  As we didn't have a plan B we all stood quietly while the bird paced up and down in the crate. In the end my friend found a large box.  We had a wonderful idea to put the box at the open door while we coaxed the bird into the box.  Well this didn't work as the bird had no intentions of going in the box.  We then covered the crate over so the bird didn't try to fly.  My daughter then climbed into the crate with bird and much to its horror she gently man handled it into the box.  Once in he box I retrieved my resident duct tape and scissors from the car and we sealed the top.  Job done!

Once home my daughter spent the rest of the evening making its home and settling it into its new surroundings.

The great thing about this is we have to do the whole thing again tomorrow and possibly a third day! The positive thing about it is plan B is now plan A and is successful!

Nothing but fun and games on the FUNNY FARM!

No comments:

Post a Comment